Welcome to my world.....

Sunday, July 24, 2011

I miss baseball - stuck with Cricket!


So I'm in Liverpool, UK, on vacation with my daughter and suffering from Sports Withdrawal. I've got limited Internet time and with the time difference (5 hours ahead of US), it's hard to track what's happening on my timeline. In an effort to get my sports Jones soothed, I'm watching the English sports channel SKY. They are showing Cricket. Oy.

As best as I can figure, and using baseball terms, there are two teams of 11 players. The game is divided into innings and a game can last for up to five days. One team takes the field, the other team sends out two batters (batsmen). The inning is over after teach member of the batting team has had an at-bat. Also, there are no "outs" like in baseball - you have to retire the batter. All eleven of them. I guess now I see why it can last up to five days.

So. The pitcher (bowler) throws the ball and tries to hit the catcher (wicket). A wicket is a set of sticks set up behind the batter so the batter hits the ball away from the sticks. If the pitcher hits the sticks, or if one of the outfielders catches the ball after it has been hit but before it hits the ground, the batter is "retired." He can hit the ball even if it bounces on the way to home plate. If the ball is put in play, then he is still "up." The other 10 players in the outfield are in a circle around this little rectangle between home and second base. It's called a "pitch." Now, the second batter is standing behind the pitcher at second base. If the batter puts the ball into play, he and the guy on second try to run straight across the field (pitch) and change places. This is how they score a run.And that's all I got. Watched for an hour, listened to the commentators, and that's about all I've been able to figure out. Now, these people may speak English but I'm telling you it's like the announcers have marbles in their mouths because I could barely understand them. And maybe it's just because I'm a typical American Sports Fan with ADD, but Cricket reminds me of Soccer from the standpoint that this game can go on for days and no one seems to care. I kinda like having an idea when a game will end... but maybe it's just me.

I love football, but I've grown to like baseball quite a bit over the past 15 years or so. And one of the things I like is the relationship between baseball and the number 3. I'm a numbers girl and typically

I only like even numbers, but there is something magical about the number 3 - at least that is what I was taught by School House Rock back in the 70's. (see You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GA69pmhrBiE) And 3 is all over baseball.

3 outs per inning. 3 sets of 3 innings per game (3x3+9). 3 bases (home is a plate, not a base) 3 important stats in the box score: Runs, Hits, Errors. And most usually, 3 hours from first pitch to last. The 3's are all over the game and seem somehow comforting to someone like me with OCD. But Crickett? Well, it's just not for me. Too bad there's nothing else on the telly over here.

I sure do miss baseball...

Respectfully Submitted,

Kate

1 comment:

  1. I guess if I was a big time pot smoker I could groove on a day or 5 of cricket. Otherwise, gimme those 333!

    Too bad our Tribe can't seem to score even 3 runs most games, though... :-/

    By the way: My captha is "sinul" That BETTER not mean I'm due for another sinuS infection!

    ReplyDelete