Welcome to my world.....

Thursday, July 25, 2013

Sports Tub Time Machine

I'm one of those people who is fascinated by the idea of Time Travel... not just visiting another time and place, but the possibility of changing one small thing and what the ripple effect of that change would be. I love TV shows like Sliders, Quantum Leap, and especially Dr. Who. Movies have also done their share of time traveling - Back to the Future or Mr. Destiny being two of my favorites.  I like to ponder the idea of going back in my own life and changing something. But what to change?

As I get older, I realize that I wouldn't change anything in my life. What impact would that have on my family? Would I have married the same man? Would my daughters be the amazing women they are today? Dunno. And don't want to ever find out.  I like them just fine the way they are.

But as a sports fan.... Hmmmm. What if I could go back in time and change one single play in a sporting event..... That's something to think about!  I posted this question on twitter last night and got a ton of answers.  Most were exactly what I expected, but there were a few surprises.  And yes, you have to pick just one!



Quite a few of the responses surrounded the Cleveland Indians, Game 7, 1997 World Series... apparently we all think Jose Mesa should have thrown the change-up!





But, as you can imagine, it was mostly Cleveland Browns Football moments that people want to go back and change....  There are 3 big moments that we all remember.  No, Kelly Holcomb almost beating the Steelers isn't one of them.  Come on - you can name them.... Red Right 88, The Drive, and The Fumble. Yeah, we all know those, whether we lived through them or just heard about them from our parents. 

Red Right 88 - Mike Davis does NOT intercept that ball and Ozzie Gets it!

The Drive - Just like @Dwvork says, the prevent defense doesn't give up the huge 3rd and 18 play!  OY!
The Fumble - This one got the most votes and it absolutely gets mine. Now I know what you are going to say, it was just the AFC Championship Game. It wasn't the Super Bowl or the World Series. It's not as big as the others. But I maintain that it is. That this single event not only added to the problems Cleveland Sports Fans have endured, but became the 3rd strike (if you will) in our football history and paved the way for dreadful season after dreadful season.




And out of all the events that people would change, The Fumble touches my heart not just as a football fan, but because of Ernest Byner. That man suffers over that play just like we do. It haunts him to this day. I don't think Jose Mesa gives the '97 series a second thought. I haven't heard another player involved in any other Cleveland Sports Catastrophe talk about what happened the way EB does. He would give anything to go back and change that one single moment. 

And for that reason above all others, so would I. 
God Bless you, Ernest. As a Browns fan, I'll always love you. 

Respectfully Submitted,
Cleveland Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment