Each Tuesday, I will give you any injury news I can find that may affect your FFL team. And I'll tell you who I think are the Studs 'N Duds. Two things to remember: positions are QB RB WR & TE. I'm not bothering with Kickers or Defenses. Deal with it. As for the math, using a basic FFL scoring system that includes PPR, I'll tell you who really over shot their projected points and who really blew it. These are not necessarily the "hot" names in the NFL, but they are guys who the experts didn't expect to play this way and it could be a trend worth watching for both owners and waiver wire pickups.
I went a brilliant 5-0 this week thanks to last minute performances from Darren McFadden and a quick game-day decision to drop Malcolm Floyd and pick up Nate Burleson. I may live to regret that one but it worked out this week!
September 19-23, 2013
- WR Nate Burleson – big news here folks. Not sure of the details but it had to do with a pizza. Seriously. Broken his arm.
- WR Jacoby Jones – injured by a stripper on his party bus. I can’t make this stuff up. Got himself hit in the head with a bottle of something called “Ace of Spades.” No idea if this head injury will keep him off the field but still...
- WR Larry Fitzgerald and RB Rashard Mendenhall –
both were back in action this week but frankly, they should have stayed hurt a little
longer. No point rushing back and they playing pitifully. Just saying...
- +28 Antonio Brown, WR Pittsburgh – finally made the big splash we expected. Even though the Steelers are 0-3 (snicker), Ben has to throw to someone and AB was his favorite target this week. If TE Heath Miller gets back to 100% that could change, but for now he’s a smart play.
- +22 Josh Gordon, WR Cleveland – frankly, no one knew what to project for Flash with his return from a two-game suspension and 3rd string QB Brian Hoyer getting the start. Well – I guess 10 receptions for 168 yards and a TD just shows that Flash came back ready to play!
- +21 Santonio Holmes, WR New York Jets – Look who’s back! Santonio hasn’t made much of a splash recently but it looks like he and Geno Smith be become buddies yet – 5 receptions for 154 yards and a TD… nice deep threat for the J-E-T-S!
- +20 Jordan Cameron, TE Cleveland – yes, you read that right, TWO Browns players made my Studs list. And I’m not just being a homer here. JC had 66 yards and 3 TDs - gotta love it when the Punter fakes a kick and throws to you!
- +20 Jimmy Graham – TE New Orleans – Drew Brees is back in top notch form and found his TE this week for 134 yards and 2 TDs.
- Other notable improvements: Denarius Moore WR Oakland, Sidney Rice WR Seattle, Eric Decker WR Denver and Ahmad Bradshaw RB Indianapolis. All of these guys have had fantasy owners scratching their heads but looks like there are back in the game.
- Final note: Jake Locker who has been a mess this season kicked it up a notch and gained 15 points over projection this week. While I don’t know anyone who is starting him each week, he may prove a capable bye week replacement.
- -14 Colin Kaepernick – QB San Francisco – Have the wheels fallen off the Magic Kaep Bus? Who knows – but their performance this week against a so-so defense leaves much to be desired. Don’t look to drop or trade Colin yet, but I’d keep an eye on him if I were you. Defenses will eventually find a way to stop everyone, but it’s up to the 49ers OC to find a way for Colin to succeed.
- -14 Eli Manning – QB New York Giants – Oh, man. People, me included, were making jokes about Eli this week and, as a good friend pointed out, it really isn’t fair. Eli may not be lighting it up like big brother Peyton, but he’s still a great QB. It’s just that he’s playing on a bad team this year. That offensive line is a mess. If they can’t get this fixed asap, you’ll have to drop Eli like a bad habit. Sorry, but even he can’t protect himself.
- -12 CJ Spillar – RB Buffalo – injury knocked him out of the game this week and I’m still looking for an update on his status. Don’t drop or trade him yet, just sit tight and be disappointed… like I am.
- -11 Hakeem Nicks – WR New York Giants – as Eli goes, so goes Hakeem. OLine troubles causing Eli to be under pressure, get sacked six times, etc., make it hard to get the ball to a receiver let alone have any kind of deep threat option. Give him some time and we’ll see if they can get the offense turned around… but not too much. The trick is to know when to pull the trigger. I’d say week 7.
- -11 Dwayne Bowe – WR Kansas City – for a team that’s doing as well as the Chiefs, you’d think their #1 WR would be having a better season… yeah, not so much. Perhaps the phenomenon that is Bowe has finally ended….
- Other notable crappy performances: -11 Marshawn Lynch RB Seattle (I mean really? You kicked the crap outta Jax and couldn’t run the ball?), -9 Chris Ivory WR NYJ (anyone seen Chris? Anyone? Bueller?), -9 Arian Foster RB Houston (they were just a hot mess vs the Ravens this week. Arian went too high in too many drafts for fantasy owners to be very happy right now – meaning if you think he’s done, start dangling him as trade bait now. Some sap will grab him up), -9 Lance Moore WR New Orleans (too many options for Drew Brees. Maybe Lance needs to take him out to dinner and a move, make nice, you know.)
That's it for me this week.... feel free to send me questions via twitter @ClvlndK8!