Welcome to my world.....

Sunday, September 22, 2013

What OSU Bias? You're crazy!

It never ceases to amaze me how everything that happens at the Ohio State University regarding it's football program makes front page news (internet headlines for you youngsters) and other programs seem to just slide under the radar.  I used to think I was being paranoid. I mean really, why would the national sports media have it in for tOSU?  Makes no sense, right?  Surely this is just a side-effect of my Cleveland fandom. We know they take delight in mocking Browns, Indians, and Cavalier fans every chance they get by bringing up all of the truly sad moments of our history...  And the fact that the vast majority of Cleveland sports fans are also Ohio State fans, well that's just because we love our state and maybe a little because it's nice to like ONE winning team....  but that changed a bit for me yesterday.

I'm quite the sports savvy chick.  I watch sports coverage on TV, read about it on the internet, talk sports on the radio and face book and twitter every single day. But yesterday my friend Heather asked me if I had heard anything about a story involving some University of Michigan players and I was absolutely clueless as to what she was talking about.  My first thought was... this must be old news, something from a few years back while I was wrapped up taking care of my aging father or when I didn't have as much time for sports. (yeah, it happens.  life gets in the way of sports on occasion.)

So I did some google searching and low and behold....  HOLY CRAP!  What is this?  A Michigan player was accused of rape?  And he's still on the team?  And teammates are accused of threatening the girls to keep quiet?  And this was not on every sports TV station and radio broadcast?  Because just the ACCUSATION that Carlos Hyde put his hands on a woman brought everyone out screaming that he be kicked off the team.... (thank god for video tape!).

Well. You are all aware of what goes on at OSU.  But here are four quick links to websites from August of this year - yes, only last month - with information and discussions on this story.  And yet it got by me, the rabid sports chick.  You can read these stories for yourself and come to your own conclusions.

Now, I'm not demanding his head on a plate or anything crazy like that. I'm not even saying he is guilty of criminal activity. And frankly the actions involved happened back in 2009 and 2010. What I'm simply asking is one small question:  WHY WAS THIS NOT HEADLINE NEWS?  Right.  So you can stop telling me that I'm just paranoid that the OSU is held to a different standard than everyone else.  Thanks.

August 8, 2013 Washtenaw Watchdogs:  The Cover-up of the Arrest of University of Michigan Football Player, Brendan Gibbon, for Rape

August 16, 2013 Democratic Underground: Univ of Mich Covers Up Rape by Star Kicker Brendan Gibbons: Teammates Threaten to RAPE Again 

August 18, 2013 Discussion on Detroit Sports Forum 

August 20, 2013 Discussion on Buckeye Sports Bulletin 

And I've also found a few other items of interest..... Vanderbuilt and Navy have faced their own issues with athletes and sexual misconduct. And I didn't see these in the headlines either. Am I missing something?

June 19, 2013 Charges filed against Navy football players accused of sexual assault

August 9, 2013 USA Today Dismissed Vanderbilt football players indicted for rape



Respectfully Submitted,

Cleveland Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment